Wednesday 25 January 2012

Mums help mums network members stories

Katrina Heyman
Hi ladies, my name is Katrina I have 3 children and decided I had to much time on my hands so have undertaken an access to nursing course with the intention of starting my Mental health nurse training in September. For my course I have to undertake a research project and I am doing this on PND. As a sufferer myself I find it is very much the forgotten mental illness so I am on a mission to try and collect some info and present on it" eeekkkk

Anyway this is where you come in, could I possibly ask that if you have given birth to 2 or more times could you take a few moments out of your hectic day and fill in my survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/58K7GBV

thank you very much xxx
Research Project - Post Natal Depression Survey
www.surveymonkey.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Pamela Jarman
Hi, not really sure how to start this.
14 /15 years ago I was pregnant 8 months into it I had eclampsia. The hospital did not know, they thought it was meningitis when in fact I had an intracerebral hemorrhage. Which today has left me with no frontal right lobe and titanium plates in my skull.
My daughter was delivered emergency C-section, she will be 15 this year her only problem is a hole in her left eardrum.
Looking back I can smile at moments, one of my favourite's is, my daughter had learnt to walk before I did.
In 1997 they knew very little about what the brain damage had done, so I was just left. I had lost the use of my left side which slowly came back. Today I am receiving the after care I should have had all those years ago.
Depression ruled my life for many years, still does but not as much as it did.
I felt cheated as I have very little memory of pregnancy, no labour, never any chance of having another child. I bonded fairly late with my daughter but today we have made up for anything we may have been cheated out of having, as my daughter is also one of my best friends.
Some days I can be fighting fit I feel as though I am getting stronger by the hour.
It has been a long hard struggle to get where I am today with my beautiful family. It was worth the fight to get here even though on the bad days back then I couldn't see any happiness or hope, I am glad a hung on.
My horrible experiences have taught me lots of lessons and coping methods in life. When I got to the other side, I learnt it had enhanced my tools to support friends in need with empathy and experience.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lisa Booth
Hello people, thought I'd share some of my story with you - I have two beautiful daughters but when I was pregnant with my first daughter I was diagnosed with depression. I never took anything out on my baby, just on me. I was my worst critic and the first one to blame myself at the slightest thing. The doctor threw pills at me, but I opted for counselling and found it helpful. Four years on, my new found therapy is once a week, getting together with my best girlfriends and sharing what we all feel and getting it off your chest. I have found this to be the most liberating and truthful form of therapy SO utilise your friends. They will tell you the truth, be honest with you and be there when you need them, and try to be a bit kinder to yourself cos if anyone else spoke to you the way YOU spoke to yourself some days, you'd punch them in the face x x x

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michelle Shaftoe
Hello :)
I am chelle. I am mum to Jamie aged 7, Sophie aged 4 and Alex, aged 18 months. Jamie is very accident prone (just like his mum!), Sophie was dairy intolerant for a year of her life and suffered severe and constant chest infections when she was a baby. She was hospitalised at 18 months for suspected bronchitis. She was even tested for cystic fibrosis, but to this day, even though it has all cleared up for some reason, none of the docs and paediatricians we saw could give us any answers as to why she was getting them!! We were also told she might never walk as her feet and legs were twisted. Thankfully she proved them wrong and is now a normal 4 yr old girl. Albeit with no concept of sshhhh lol. Alex has Duane Syndrome in his right eye. it is normally in the left eye, so he is in the 20% i think it is who have it in the right. we think he may have a touch of it in his left but we arent sure. He cant move his right eye outwards at all and up and down are limited. He has another check up on monday next week, so we will know more then! I live in a little village in what seems like the middle of nowhere because neither my husband or i can drive! I dont go out much as I have mild CFS. I know thats probably not an excuse, but its good enough for me :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samantha Hall
My son was born with bilateral congenital talipees equinaverius (aka Clubfoot). It was picked up in my 20 week scan but i was told it was only a positional form of clubfoot (meaning it was just the way he was resting in my womb) and all he would need was physio when he was born. Needless to say i still cried my heart out for days and felt helpless. When he was born we were prepared for the worse and it was a good job as it turned out to be a more severe case of talipees and was a genetic form and that any other children i have can be born with the same condition. His feet were completely twisted inwards and folded in half.
From 3 days old Alexander had both his legs placed in plaster casts from his hips to his toes to stretch out the ligaments in his feet, and these were replaced once every week by Alder Hey to manipulate his feet into a normal postion. He had an operation at 8 weeks old to cut his achilies heel to lower his heel back into the pad on his foot and was finally freed from his casts at 12 weeks old. The most distressing part out of all of this was having to pin down a young baby for all this to take place and it took 4 of us in total as he was a strong little bugger.
After the casts his feet were then placed in little white boots and held at a certain angle with a metal bar between the two so his leg movements were still limited. this had to be worn day and night for 3 months.
Now he is 9 months old his boots and bar still have to be worn of a night time and will be till hes 4 years old.

The good thing about this all taken place whilst he is so young is that he doesnt know any better and it hasnt slowed his development at all. He is crawling around and is dying to walk but hasnt yet got his balance but he will get there and very soon will be running circles around me. He is spoilt rotten and in 6 weeks will have a little sister... and before you think it, yes i am mad.... lol xxx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melissa Burton
Hi to everyone out there, to help jo on her way with the amazing idea I thought id give it ago and share my experience. I became pregnant at the age of 19 it was definitely a major shock for me and my partner (who has 3 children to a previous relationship) as we hadn't been together very long at all. My pregnancy was a good one, hardly put much weight on, no aches and pains the only major for me was being very sick all day everyday till I gave birth. I thought I was prepared for her arrival mentally and physically, I'd had the nursery finished from 8 months everything put in its place just waiting for her arrival but nothing and nobody warns you to the mental changes that can happen to you afterwards. After giving birth to a beautiful healthy little girl everything was good for a couple of weeks, then life seemed to become about making everyone else happy, Christmas was on its way and things were not going very well with access to the other children, which seemed to take over our lives, meeting with solicitors and so on to try and satisfy everyone but at this point my baby was only 2-3 weeks, the madness continued for months after 8 weeks I was back at work and just one thing after another started to happen and I felt exhausted! Within 6 months I had changed into a monster!! My relationship had broken down, I'd lost contact with all my friend due to just feeling so low, they would txt and phone and I'd just ignore them. something inside just didn't want to speak to anyone but really I needed them. After months and months of going worse and worse I new I had a problem but one I just didn't want to admit as it made me feel like a failure! I took it all out on the only person who was close to me my partner, I'd physically attack him, fly at him kicking and punching, tell him to leave then go mad when he did, he couldn't do anything right! At my lowest point I tried to take an overdose and not just once I had gone to breaking point and dragged my partner with me, he couldn't cope with any more! Finally I decided to admit I needed help. I went to the doctorsand they prescribed me with anti depressants after a few weeks I started to feel myself again it does take time but they do work. Within 6 months I was off them and I have never been happier, I would never got through this without the support from my family and partner most of all he was my rock!! This is why I think this is a fab idea if more people can share experience women out there now will be able to see they are not on there own. It can happen to you even when you least expect, speaking to people who are going through the same thing would have been a great help. You dont get given the advice or opportunity, it's ok the health visitors saying you'll be ok but they are not in the same situation. I've always known about post natal depression but never thought it would happen to me. I've got through it now like so many other strong women and could not be happier a gorgeous daughter and a absolutely fabulous fiancé more people need to speak out so women know they are not on there own hope this helps someone xxx
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment